JMUN 2021: Redefining the Global Megatrends: Weaving Unity and Enhancing Adaptability
Jakarta Model United Nations 2021
Jakarta Model United Nations 2021 is an annual event organized by ISAFIS, and is the 11th annual event since it was first held. The JMUN 2021 took place from August 13 to August 15, 2021 with the theme “Redefining the Global Megatrends: Weaving Unity and Enhancing Adaptability.” With this year’s theme, JMUN aims to have a qualified discussion and exchange critical ideas with the delegates on how the world has undergone remarkably swift changes and developments. The theme itself became an issue that has the urgency to be brought up, by reason of its effects to many aspects of life. By choosing this theme, we hope that we can hear the voices of the youth as the generation that will encounter the global megatrends from now and the future. The event was held online due to the restrictions of COVID-19 that is still not over yet, and attended by more than 400 delegates and 40 observers from all around the world.
In this year’s annual event, there is nine councils with different topics each:
- United Nations International Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) with “The Development and Accessibility of Remote Learning”
- Economic and Financial Affairs Council (ECOFIN) with “Integration of E-Commerce and Digital Financing for Sustainable Economic Growth”
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHRC) with “Freedom of Speech in Social Media”
- UN-Habitat with “Creating New Urban Development Model through Sustainable Housing”
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) with “Air Transport in the New Normal Era”
- Special Political and Decolonization Committee (SPECPOL) with “Maritime Piracy in the Middle East and North Africa”
- United Nations Security Council (UNSC) with “Sino-Indian Border Dispute”
- United Nations Correspondents Association (UNCA) with “Press”
- CRISIS with “The Archipelago Alight: The First Steps of Indonesia’s Liberal Democracy”
Through this JMUN 2021, JMUN also commenced a platform in the form of scholarship named JMUN Scholarship, in hope to help those who are willing to learn about world issues in depth.
A pre-event was held before the main event, also the first day of JMUN 2021. This pre-event consists of Diplomatic Talk and MUN 101. The delegates expected to be having better preparation once they finished participating in this pre-event.
13th of August marks the first day of JMUN 2021. Other than the percipient keynote speakers who attend the event filling the opening ceremony such as Dr. Vivi Yulaswati, M.Sc (Expert Staff of the Minister of National Development Planning for Social Affairs and Poverty Reduction of The Republic of Indonesia) and Dr. Venkatachalam Anbumozhi (Director of Research Strategy and Innovations at the Economic Research Institute for Asia), the first day had Abang None Jakarta Barat to dance Traditional Betawi Dance to promote Indonesia and its diverse culture. The next session was the Panel Session with “The Implication of Investment on Social Welfare, Mitigation on Climate Change, and Global Cooperation” as the topic.
The event followed by the MUN session by delegates from each committee. The discussion was diverse as JMUN has nine different committees, but each committee aims for the same discussion theme: Global Megatrends. We hope by this diversity, the youth can conclude diverse insights as well.
The event came to its end on 15th of August with a closing ceremony. The closing ceremony consists of the opening by Nadiem Makarim (Ministry of Education, Culture, Research, and Technology of the Republic of Indonesia), sharing session by Selphine Jeanita, B. Ed. MA (Board Trustee Most and Beyond) and the Awarding Session.
As the Jakarta Model United Nations 2021 ends, we hope that delegates could obtain wider understanding about Global Megatrends, also develop confidence and leadership skills through their experience on this event.